The North Netherlands Symphony Orchestra (NNO) is a leading, forward-thinking symphony orchestra based in Groningen. The orchestra performs at the highest level both exciting new programmes, as well as traditional symphonic repertoire. We believe that nothing surpasses a live classical music concert, with the contact that is made between the orchestra and its audience.
The NNO performs regularly within the three northern Dutch provinces in concert halls, at open-air events, during festivals and for school children. The orchestra also travels to other venues around the country playing at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, the Doelen in Rotterdam and the TivoliVredenburg in Utrecht.
Antony Hermus is at present the Principal Guest Conductor, with Stefan Asbury as Honorary Conductor and Michel Tabachnik fulfilling the position of Conductor Emeritus. We have been priviliged to work with leading conductors such as Viktor Liberman, Jean Fournet, Han-Na Chang, Stefan Vladar, Alexander Verdernikov and Susanna Mälkki, and international soloists including Diana Damrau, Piotr Beczala, Eva-Maria Westbroek and Vadim Repin. Louis Lortie, Shlomo Mintz and Alexander Gravylyuk will be appearing in the 2016/2017 season. The NNO regularly highlight contemporary composers: Terry Riley, Arvo Pärt, Philip Glass, Laurie Anderson and Steve Vai have all performed their music in Groningen.
At present the NNO comprises 75 musicians. For more information please go to www.nno.nu .
There is currently one vacancy at the NNO: Principal Flute.
Click here for more information about auditioning at the NNO.
Principal Trumpet (95%)
The NNO requires a candidate to fill the following position:
Principal trumpet (95%*)
Audition date : 22 June 2017
Closing date for applications : 11 May 2017
Starting date : 1 August 2017
- be an exceptional soloist.
- preferably have leadership experience.
- be able to lead the trumpet section (including guest players), to guide and motivate the players.
- be able to assist the management when required, in artistic or personnel matters regarding the trumpet section or the whole orchestra.
- be a team player who feels at home in a symphony orchestra.
- have a positive, studious and flexible attitude.
Terms of employment:
* 95% contract comprising 85% playing, the remainder to be used for tasks as section leader.
* Should the 2017-2020 budget allow, there may be the opportunity to increase this to a full-time position.
- The contract is initially for a probationary period, which can be extended, becoming a permanent position if both parties are in agreement.
- Required to play 2nd or 3rd trumpet when necessary.
- Salary: scale 3 as in the Dutch Orchestras’ Collective Labour Agreement.
- Contribution to the ABP Pension Fund is compulsory.
There are three parts to the selection procedure. Firstly an audition is held to assess if the candidate has the required artistic qualities to be considered for the position. Secondly, an interview takes place in which the candidates affinity with the orchestra, his/her social, leadership skills and qualities will be discussed and assessed. Finally, part of the selection procedure consists of assessing the candidate’s strengths and weaknesses giving clarity to expectations of the leadership role.
Applications should be sent in writing (by email) indicating motivation for applying along with a Curriculum Vitae. EU employment rules are applicable and only EU citizens with unrestricted work and residence permits will be invited to audition. Those from outside the EU must be in possession of unrestricted Dutch work and residence permits. Selection for the audition will be made based on the written applications.
The application, along with proof of nationality and copies of work and residence permits where required, must be received by 11 May 2017.
- J. Haydn – Trumpet Concerto in E flat major (until bar 120).
- A. Honegger – Intrada (complete).
The audition will take place in Groningen. For further information regarding terms of the contract please contact Hedi Boersema, NNO Personnel Advisor. For more information regarding the audition procedure please contact Aaltje Wouda, NNO Auditions Secretary.
email : email@example.com
telephone : +31 (0)50 3695800